Sunday, November 18, 2007

Live from New York...


It's Saturday night!

Or it was... all night into Sunday morning when I actually got home. I suppose if I had gone home right after Saturday Night Live's live performance at the Upright Citizens Brigade I would actually have some pictures to share with you now. But, since I didn't get to sleep until 6am, I'm a little behind on my editing.

I know it sounds cheezy but I really feel like I was party of comedy history at last night's show where all of the cast members (except Maya Rudolph) of SNL were in attendance (including Horatio Sanz). Because of the writers strike and some layoffs at SNL, the cast put together this last minute show to support them. I got to witness Fred Armisen paste fake pubes to his bare ass backstage. Now tell me that's not an amazing thing to behold. I had kind of hoped to see Andy Samberg's ass but he kept his clothes on last night.

Yo La Tengo played two songs according to regular SNL format and Norah Jones showed up to sing "Iran Away" with Samberg. Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers performed at a tiny prop desk with a hand written sign that read "The Weekend Update". At 1am Kenan Thompson came out to announce the opening of "Live at The Apollo" which normally airs immediately after SNL. Poehler came out to apologize that they were running over and that they just needed a few more minutes to finish their sketches.

All of the sketches were previously written and most had not been aired before because the were considered too offensive for TV. Host, Michael Cera, was given an opening monologue written for Donald Trump until he put the kibosh on it and read a Paris Hilton script instead - THAT'S HOT! Robert Smigel put together a racially charged video about airline passengers that was HYSTERICAL! Please check back here later for more info - I'll be posting some images later.

The show's ending led into a big afterparty where drinking and dancing ensued. Rachel Dratch who had performed as her character, Debbie Downer, ripped up the dance floor along with Kristen Wiig, Samberg and John Krasinski of The Office.

So much more to tell, but first its time for some more coffee...

2 comments:

ChristineM said...

awesome! who were you photographing it for?

Anonymous said...

hey frannie this sounds like quite the comedy-history night, but I have to say your free puppies picture and hell yes! scary nyc comment are just as entertaining. take us to UCB in the spring'kay?