Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Price of a Slice


I remember when a slice of cheese pizza in New York City, unless it was of the gourmet variety, never exceeded $2.00. You could easily go into any Ray's and get yourself a meal or a snack for under $3.00. Now it seems that more and more places are raising their prices!

Here's the sign at the "new" Sal's on Avenue A. $2.50 for a regular slice? Outrageous! The Pizza Shop, where the old Sal's used to be, charges $2.25 a pop - this is more than a ride on the subway!

Pizza used to be a staple for me when I needed a good, filling, cheap meal on the run. Now, with prices exceeding even the regular taxi surcharge, I am going to rethink my meal plans. I understand, with the price of gas and everything going up that people need to make adjustments but can rent be going up so much that they can't have one low-end item on the menu? I mean, go ahead and charge $4.50 for your fancy, gorgonzola-basil-pine nut slice but keep a low-budget option available to the homeless, college kids and me.

Personally, I don't think that the price of a slice of NYC, plain, cheese pizza should every exceed the cost of a subway ride. I say we encourage Bloomberg to enforce these standards for us!

VIVA LA PIZZALUCION!

No comments: